Fitness|Weight loss

The 80/20 rule helped me lose 15kg in 10 months

The Pareto principle (also known as the 80/20 rule, the law of the vital few, or the principle of factor sparsity) states that, for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes. Pareto developed both concepts in the context of the distribution of income and wealth among the population.

The Pareto principle can be applied in all aspects of life. When applied to healthy eating it basically means consume healthy food 80% of the time and fun food for the remaining 20%. The 80/20 rule is really an approach to a healthy and balanced lifestyle. It’s about eating the foods you like, losing the weight and keeping it off. Is it possible that you can have your cake and eat it too???

The Pros

  • Can avoid that failure-prone mindset
  • Keeps you motivated
  • Able to enjoy your diet more
  • Don’t feel so restricted
  • Get to enjoy the foods you love
  • Able to maintain your eating plan long-term

The Cons

  • Determining that 20%
  • Over-indulging
  • Falling back into old habits

Winning at Life

10 months into my journey I managed to lose 15kg, but here’s the catch … I still ate carbs and sugars (in moderation of course).

Screenshot_20180128-212031.jpg
Progress Not Perfection

Seeing as I am an absolute foodie and have been basically all my life, this flexible approach to weight loss serves me well. I love food, the yummy, tasty, hearty not so healthy kinda food.

I aim to eat clean from Monday to Friday. I’m however less restrictive over the weekend and tend to eat the food I love that may not necessarily be on my eating plan. This may or may not include the occasional glass of G&T.

Screenshot_20180128-211733.jpg
G&T because I can

I’m a true Libran, always looking to sustain balance in my life. The 80/20 rule allows me to live my best life, while I smash out my goals. If I slip up in the week and don’t achieve my 100% clean eating I no longer beat myself up about it. I no longer feel guilty about the occasional piece of decadent chocolate cake and I refuse to allow minor slip-ups to derail me.

Lets be real people. Life isn’t perfect and life “happens”. Setting a goal like 100% clean eating can and will only set you up for failure, making you feel despondent and even depressed. This often leads to us just throwing in the towel, because the situation has become too overwhelming. So instead of setting the bar too high, rather set small goals and gradually work your way into a lifestyle change. Do everything in moderation and focus on positive and happy vibes. The rest will eventually fall into place.

0 Comments

  1. I love this principle and am currently using something similar for myself (I’ve lost 39lbs over the past 5 months). My GP doesn’t take the time to understand why I am choosing my approach (not completely denying myself), but I agree with you, that making a 100% change just sets us up for failure. A life-change is just going to take time and I think that it is so much less stressful to make those small changes and keep consistent as much as you are able. Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts!

Leave a Reply