With a long-lasting battery life, the Nokia T20 tablet brings all the versatility and reliability you would normally expect from a Nokia phone. The Nokia T20 is the Finnish mobile maker’s first tablet in eight years.
The Nokia T20 is designed in Finland meaning you get premium quality that’s built to last
- Love it: Versatile features. Including long-lasting battery life, a crisp 2K screen, immersive OZO Audio and OZO Playback.
- Trust it: Experience the award-winning qualities of Nokia phones now in the tablet space.
- Keep it: Work, learn and play for longer thanks to premium Nordic quality and two years of OS upgrades for signature reliability.
- Keep it: Bringing a new ecosystem of accessories for added peace of mind and longevity.
UNVEILING OF THE NOKIA T20 TABLET
HMD Global, the home of Nokia phones, recently unveiled the new Nokia T20 tablet. The brand-new tablet brings the classic Nokia phone quality to the tablet market, but is worth the hype?
The Nokia T20 marks the introduction of the brand-new T-series. Packed with innovative and accessible features you’ll love, including a crystal clear 2K screen plus three years of monthly security updates and two years of free operating system (OS) upgrades.
- 2K display – The Nokia T20 has a 10.4-inch screen with a 1200 x 2000 resolution.
- Cameras – A 5-megapixel camera on the front and an 8-megapixel camera on the back.
- 8200mAh battery – The tablet offers up to 15 hours of battery when browsing the web.
- Expandable storage – Available with 4GB/64GB, storage is expandable up to 512GB with a microSD as well.
The T20 is super sleek and with a modern look and feel. Isn’t too small, but doesn’t take up a lot of space. The Nokia T20 weighs in at just 470g. The back panel of the tablet is coated in the sexy metallic blue that has become synonymous with the Nokia brand. The new kid on the block boasts a solid metal body structure and sandblasted aluminum body, a toughened glass display and an IP52 water-resistance rating.
The Nokia T20 has a 10.4-inch display with a 2K or 1200 x 2000 resolution. According to HMD Global, the screen is capable of hitting 400 nits of brightness and is SGS low blue light certified, meaning it should be comfortable on the eyes. This is however affected by the custom white balance setting. That being said the T20’s display is bright enough to see in direct sunlight. Nokia doesn’t integrate a fingerprint sensor into the power button, so you have to use a PIN as a passcode.
You can find the volume, a microSD slot and a few ports for specialized accessories on the right side of the T20. The USB-C charging port can be found on the bottom edge of the tablet and a headphone jack sits on the curved bottom corner. The sound is acceptable when looking at the price point.
Software and performance
The T20 comes with Android 11 and further guaranteed software updates. The performance is good, however the camera quality isn’t the best. Ideally one would use tablets to scan documents as opposed to taking photos. That being said it would come down to ones preference.
If there’s one thing Nokia is consistently good at, it’s providing reliable OS updates – and the T20 is no different. The tablet currently runs Android 11 at launch. The T20 runs the stock version of Android meaning you can receive timely updates. Two of the biggest features HMD Global is pushing here are Family Link and Google Kids Space.
- Family Link allows parents to set screen time limits, approve (or deny) apps remotely, and add teacher-recommended apps directly to the device.
- Google Kids Space is a feature that turns the T20 into a tablet tailored to kids with apps, books and videos chosen to entertain and educate young minds.
Spotify will give Nokia T20 owners access to 70 million tracks and 2.9 million podcasts out of the box. Offering additional control over your online privacy, Express VPN will be available on the Nokia T20 with a 30-day free trial.
LONG LASTING BATTERY LIFE
- The T20 features a 8200mAh battery.
- The device outlasted its 10-hour claim while streaming video.
The Nokia T20 packs a sizable 8200mAh battery, which HMD Global claims can support up to 15 hours of web surfing, up to 10 hours of video streaming and up to 7 hours of video calling.
PROS & CONS
- Large, bright screen
- Affordable price point
- Modern metal design
- Long-lasting battery
- No fingerprint sensor
- Below-par cameras
- No real waterproofing
PRICING & AVAILABILITY
The Nokia T20 is priced from R3,999 or from R279/month. Nokia T20 has 4GB Ram and 64GB of onboard memory (WiFi and LTE) in Ocean Blue. The Nokia T20 is available in South Africa through Vodacom outlets and selected retailers. A Rugged Flip Cover will be available to protect your Nokia T20 against drops and scratches that can be bought separately from selected online stores.
Our final verdict
The Nokia T20 is exactly what you might expect. A well-built device that comes in at an affordable price. Offering plenty of value for your money despite some compromises. It’s a versatile product that can be used for adults and kids alike. From homeschooling, helping moms smash their mompreneur goals, to connecting with family and friends … the Nokia T20 ensures you get bang for your buck.