Not like anyone needs a reason to eat pancakes but today is Shrove Tuesday. Shrove Tuesday is also known in Commonwealth countries and Ireland Pancake Day. It is the day in February or March immediately preceding Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent.
I almost never speak about religion but here’s a little more hindsight into who we are. As Catholics, Ash Wednesday has huge significance in our lives. It is a Christian holy day of prayer and fasting which is preceded by Shrove Tuesday. Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent, the six weeks of penitence before Easter.
With it being Pancake Tuesday what better time to uncover the most popular topping requested by locals. It’s been a battle for the ages on whether pancakes should be served sweet, with a sprinkle of sugar and cinnamon, or savoury, loaded with chilli and cheese?
Uber Eats releases most popular pancake toppings by South Africans
Locals have decided, and the pancake has flipped in flavour of one side. The most popular toppings on pancakes by local eaters are:
- Ice Cream
Thought I’d highlight my favourite just in case you wanted to know for future reference. Savoury may win, but 8 out of the top ten toppings is sweet which is my kinda vibe. So the question is, are the onions caramelised? No one knows, but what can be confirm is that the Uber Eats app, saw an increase of over 440% in orders of pancakes from 2017 to just last year!
If you know have a hankering to try out the onion trend, or simply want to celebrate that your fav toppings made the list, why not give these restaurants available on the Uber Eats app a try:
- Rather Tart in Johannesburg
- The Junk Yard in Durban
- Cal Cacchio’s in Port Elizabeth
- The Korner in Cape Town
Fit Like Mummy's Pancake Recipe
- 1/4 cu white sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups of water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Lemon cut into wedges
- Combine sugar and cinnamon. Mix together until evenly distributed. Set aside for later use..
- Whisk eggs, water and oil together.
- In a large bowl, sift flour and salt to get out any clumps.
- Pour egg mixture into the flour and salt mixture. Whisk well as you need a smooth batter.
- Mix until well combined; batter will be very runny. Let stand for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- In a frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil on medium heat. Drain excess oil or wipe pan with a paper-towel. .
- Spoon in the batter, allowing a thin layer to coat the bottom of the pan. When bubbles form on top and the pancake pulls away from the sides of the pan, use a spatula and flip the pancake. It is done when the pancake firms up and has browned slightly. .
- Transfer to a plate. Sprinkle cinnamon over pancake, then roll into a narrow roll.
- Add your maple drizzle or honey on top
Stand a chance to win 1 of 2 Uber Eats vouchers
Leave a comment letting us know what your favourite pancake topping is. Two lucky pancake loving peeps will each win a R100 Uber Eats voucher. T & C’s apply. Giveaway closes on 26 February at 8pm. Winners will be announced on the 27th of February 2020.
Tantalize your taste-buds and enjoy in the Shrove Tuesday aka Pancake Day festivities. Don’t forget to leave us a comment letting us know what your favourite pancake toppings are.