The month of December always brings with it incredible childhood memories of time spent in the kitchen with my gran. Christmas is a big deal for us and the celebrations were always something to behold. Part of the celebrations involved cooking a storm with my gran on Christmas day. In the hopes of inspiring you to #CreateAStir, I’ve teamed up with Nola Mayonnaise to show you the diversity of using mayo in your recipes. As promised, here are the recipes from Fit Like Mummy’s Nola Mayo Inspired Christmas Menu.
My gran handed down many recipes that I still use today, but I’ve taken creative liberties and given them a twist of my own. Let me add that these recipes are based purely on memories of time spent with my gran in the kitchen.
Easy Bake Mayo Rolls
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup NOLA Original Mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the 3 ingredients and mix well.
- Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Evenly spoon mixture into the muffin cups then bake in the oven.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes in over. Check each muffin is cooked all the way through.
- Serve warm or slightly cooled.
Spicy Prawn Cocktail
- 1 Cup NOLA Original Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 300g deveined prawns
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- Salt to taste
- Heat butter in a skillet
- Add the garlic and mix but be careful not to burn.
- Add the prawns to the skillet and allow to cook.
- When almost done sprinkle with fresh thyme and allow to cook for a minute or two.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool
- Layer a platter with lettuce leaves. Spoon the prawn mixture onto the lettuce leaves. Layer slices on avo onto the prawns.
- The cut limes in quarters for garnishing and place according.
Nola Mayonnaise Marinated Roast Chicken
Ingredients for stuffing
- 375gr pork sausages (casings removed)
- Grated liver and gizzard found in the while chicken
- 2 slices white bread crumbs
- 1 egg (to bind)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped rosemary
- 1/2 grated onion
- 2 teaspoon thyme (off he stem)
- Black pepper
Ingredients for whole chicken
- One whole chicken
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- White pepper
Ingredients for Nola Mayonnaise Rub
- 1 cup NOLA Original Mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoon of crushed garlic and ginger
- White pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix really well.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- In another bowl combine all ingredients for the Nola Mayo Rub and mix well.
- Stuff the chicken cavity with the stuffing mixture. Its best to tie the chicken legs together to prevent the stuffing from oozing out.
- Then place the chicken on an oven tray and liberally apply the Nola Mayo Rub.
- Roast chicken for 50-60 minutes, brushing chicken with the rub every 15-20 minutes. You may have to roast it a little longer to compensate the loss of temperature, but I use my airfryer for browning.
Mustard Roasted Baby Potatoes with Rosemary
- 1 cup (250ml) Nola Original Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp (15ml) fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp (15ml) butter
- 1kg baby potatoes
- Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Whisk the Nola Original Mayonnaise, mustard and thyme together and season.
- Grease an ovenproof dish with butter and layer baby potatoes.
- Smoother potatoes in the mayo mixture and pop into the oven.
- Cook until potatoes are soft. This should take approximately 30 to 45 minutes depending on potatoes used
Baked Garlic Mushrooms
- 10 Portobello mushroom
- 1/4 cup Nola Original Mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Coat a sheet pan with cooking spray.
- Arrange the mushrooms in a single layer on the sheet pan.
- Mix all the ingredients together then scoop 1 tablespoon of mixture onto each mushroom.
- Place the pan in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes o
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs, then serve immediately
Moist Chocolate Cake
Ingredients Dark Chocolate Ganache
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 350g good quality dark chocolate, finely chopped
Ingredients Moist chocolate cake
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise Nola Original Mayonnaise
- 170g castor sugar
- 45g cocoa
- 180g self-raising flour
- 80g double-thick plain yoghurt
- For the ganache – heat the cream and vanilla essence until warm, but not boiling. Remove from heat, pour over the chopped chocolate and stir until melted. Set aside to cool until firm and spreadable.
- For the cake, preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease two 18cm-round cake tins generously with cooking spray.
- Beat the eggs, mayonnaise and castor sugar for a few minutes.
- Whisk in the yoghurt, cocoa and flour until smooth.
- Divide the mixture between the 2 prepared cake tins and bake in the oven until a skewer inserted into the centre of each cake comes out clean, 20 – 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool before transferring to wire racks to cool.
- Once the cakes have cooled and the ganache has thickened, you can assemble it. Spread a third of the ganache onto one cake. Top with the other cake and cover it with the remaining ganache.
- Decorate as you see fit.
Aside from all the Nola Mayonnaise inspired dishes I created, I also created these Christmas Family favourites
I sincerely hope that these recipes will inspire you in the kitchen this festive season. You can also check out the Nola Mayo highlight reel on my Instagram page for the Festive Cookoff I did. I’d love to know what’s your family favourite and if I have encouraged you to add a modern twist to it with NOLA Mayonnaise.
Win with Nola Mayonnaise
I’m just someone who loves cooking and for whom sharing food is a form of expressing my love. Here’s to wishing you fabulous moments of cooking up a fearlessly authentic storm for the people in your life.Much love in food, Natasha aka Fit Like Mummy