This week I attempted to make hamburger buns from scratch. Super excited that the bread maker I bought came with an extensive list of bread and dough recipes. The recipe is extremely easy so I thought I’d share the hamburger bun recipe with you lovelies because its incredibly easy.
Hamburger Bun Recipe
- 250ml water
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 520g flour
- 2.5 tsp yeast
- melted margarine for the topping
- sesame seeds for the topping
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or baking paper.
- Place yeast into bowl of a large stand mixer; whisk in 1/2 of the flour and warm water until smooth. Let stand until mixture is foamy, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Whisk 1 egg, melted butter, sugar, and salt thoroughly into yeast mixture. Add remaining flour
- Fit a dough hook onto stand mixer and knead the dough on low speed until soft and sticky, 5 to 6 minutes. Scrape sides if needed. Poke and prod the dough with a silicone spatula; if large amounts of dough stick to the spatula, add a little more flour.
- Transfer dough onto a floured work surface; dough will be sticky and elastic but not stick to your fingers. Form the dough lightly into a smooth, round shape, gently tucking loose ends underneath.
- Wipe out stand mixer bowl, drizzle olive oil into the bowl, and turn dough over in the bowl several times to coat surface thinly with oil. Cover bowl with aluminum foil. Let dough rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours.
- Transfer dough to a floured work surface and pat to flatten bubbles and form into a slightly rounded rectangle of dough about 5×10 inches and about 1/2 inch thick. Dust dough lightly with flour if needed. Cut dough into 8 equal pieces. Form each piece into a round shape, gently tucking ends underneath as before.
- Use your hands to gently pat and stretch the dough rounds into flat disc shapes about 1/2 inch thick. Arrange buns about 1/2 inch apart on prepared baking sheet. Dust buns very lightly with flour. Drape a piece of plastic wrap over the baking sheet (do not seal tightly). Let buns rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Beat 1 egg with milk in a small bowl, using a fork, until mixture is thoroughly combined. Very gently and lightly brush tops of buns with egg wash without deflating the risen dough. Sprinkle each bun with sesame seeds.
- Bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned on top, 15 to 17 minutes. Buns will stick together slightly where they touch. Let cool completely, tear the buns apart, and slice in half crosswise to serve.
Another awesome recipe you may be interested in is the Homemade Romany Creams so make sure to give these a try.
This bun recipe can be used to make round buns or hot dog buns. Really is an easy hamburger bun recipe worth giving a try. If you do try it please let me know how it turns out.
Happy baking and stay safe.