3 kg orange crabs cleaned and chopped
2 onions, finely chopped10 rosa tomatoes
10 rosa tomatoes
4 tsp curry powder1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp ground cumin
4 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp coconut sugar
1/4 cup tamarind water
- 3 tbsp ginger and garlic
- curry leaves
6 green chillies
Salt as per taste
- Dhania (aka coriander)
- In a large pot heat oil then add the onions. Allow to brown.
- Grate tomatoes and set aside.
- Cut green chillis in half and add to the pot with the curry leaves, ginger and garlic.
- Clean and chop the crab, then add to the pot. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and all spices. Mix well and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes to the pot.
- Add salt to taste as well as the coconut sugar.
- Mix well, replace the lid and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Thereafter increase the heat to allow the gravy to thicken.
- Pour in the tamarind water and bring to the boil to finish.
- Remove from heat and leave to stand. The gravy will thicken on standing.
- Wash dhania properly and sprinkle some over the cooked crab curry.
- Best served with rice!