I absolutely love chickpeas and lentils. These two items have rightfully made their way on the Future 50 Foods list and I find them extremely versatile to use when cooking. Today I have an Easy Chickpea and Lentil Curry Recipe to try out.
Chickpeas may offer a variety of health benefits, such as improving digestion, aiding weight management and reducing the risk of several diseases. They are a rich source of vitamins, minerals and fiber. Chickpeas are also high in protein and make an excellent replacement for meat in vegetarian and vegan diets.
Brown, green, yellow, red or black lentils are low in calories, rich in iron and folate and an excellent source of protein. They pack health-promoting polyphenols and may reduce several heart disease risk factors. Lentils are easily cooked in 5–20 minutes.
Here’s a super easy and delicious vegan recipe that is packed with flavour and nutritional value. Serving it with wild rice means that you will have used threes ingredients from the list of Knorr Future 50 Foods.
Easy Chickpea and Lentil Curry
- 45ml vegetable oil
- 2 onions diced
- 1 yellow pepper diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 4 ripe tomatoes chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2.5ml red chilli powder to taste
- Mild curry powder to taste
- 5ml cumin seeds
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 x 400g tinned chickpeas drained
- 400g tinned lentils
- Chopped fresh coriander for garnish
- 2 lemons cut into quarters
- Place the mung beans in a saucepan and add 1 cup water and bring to the boil
- Simmer for 12 to 15 minutes under tender. Drain
- Toss the broccoli in the sunflower oil. Knorrr Chakalaka Soup and tumeric powder
- Heat the frying pan to high heat and add the broccoli. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes until just browned.
- Add the mung beans and coconut milk and stir well. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes or until the broccoli is cooked.
- Serve garnished with fresh coriander and steamed rice on the side.
NOTE : I prefer not to used tinned chickpeas or lentils. You can however use either option.
NOTE 2 : This Easy Chickpea and Lentil Curry Recipe is courtesy of KNORR in association with the Plate of the Nation campaign
Leave a comment letting me know if you have tried mung bean before and what you thought of it. Hope you enjoy your Easy Chickpea and Lentil Curry.