This is a easy bacon and mushroom quiche recipe and it’s all baked in a super flaky homemade pie crust. I’m using a heavy cream for the richest, creamiest filling. This recipe is extremely versatile and an absolute win for a quick and easy family meal.
Useful info for the perfect quiche
Quiche is a perfect light lunch or dinner. Try adding chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, basil or oregano.
- Non-traditional “crust”. Mix cooked rice, spinach or couscous with a beaten egg and press it into a greased quiche dish.
- Individual egg and cheese quiche. You can bake pastry tart shells ahead in a muffin tin.
- Make fillings from your favorite foods or from leftovers. Use a combination of cheese, meat, seafood or poultry and vegetables.
- Filling ingredients. Always cook your filling ingredients. Pieces should be cut fairly small and drained of excess moisture.
- When egg and cheese quiche is done. Baked custards should be removed from the oven before the center is completely set. The center will jiggle slightly when cup or dish is gently shaken. Custard will continue to “cook” after it’s removed and center will firm up quickly. Over-baked custard may curdle.
- The perfect appetizer. Quiche makes for the perfect appetizer. Either make mini quiches or a large rectangular once than can be cut into pieces.
- Versatility. Quiche is the most versatile dish and can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Its best accompanied with a fresh salad.
10 Exciting quiche filling combinations
- Spinach and feta
- Spicy chicken and mushroom
- Asparagus and mushroom
- Cheesy zucchini
- Smoked salmon and kale
- Broccoli and cheese
- Baby tomatoes, red onions and cheese
- Onion and Gruyère cheese
- Beetroot, feta and thyme
- Goats cheese and honeyed figs
For a range of other mushroom inspired dishes click HERE.