Thai Green Curry
For the paste
- 20 green chillies
- 3 tbsp chopped lemongrass
- 3-4 lime leaves
- 10 tsp chopped coriander stems
- 1 tsp chopped fresh turmeric
- 2 tbsp chopped shallots
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
NOTE : Or use the Blue Elephant Thai Green Curry Meal Kit or 4 tbsp Thai Green Curry Paste)
For the curry
- Coconut oil
- 2 fresh green chillies (finely sliced lengthwise)
- 3 fresh red chillies (finely sliced lengthwise)
- 1 tin coconut cream
- 1-2 tsp fish sauce
- ½ tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp Fresh ginger and garlic
- 1 whole chicken (chopped into pieces)
- 300g broccoli and courgettes mix chopped into chunks
- Handful of Thai lime leaves
For the Paste
- Add all the ingredients into a food processor and blend together.
NOTE: Using a mortar and pestle will however produce better results.
- Work with one ingredient at a time before adding the next.
- Add some rough salt and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil to aid the process.
- Work through all ingredients until one properly combined paste results
For the Curry
- Cut the chicken into pieces then set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of coconut oil in a large pot on a medium heat.
- Add the fresh chillies, ginger and garlic. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes then add the chicken pieces and fry for approximately 10 minutes, or until just chicken starts to brown.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the Thai green paste for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the coconut milk and add the Thai lime leaves. Turn the heat up and bring to the boil, then simmer until slightly reduced.
- Stir in the veggies, reduce the heat to low and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the fish sauce and coconut sugar to taste and bring back to the boil, then stir in the lime leaves, red chilli and basil leaves.
- Season carefully to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve with jasmine rice and garnish with lime wedges and dhania (coriander).